Monday, July 25, 2016

London 2016 Day 8 - The Roman Amphitheatre and More

In the morning we visited a Roman amphitheatre part of which can be seen underneath the Guildhall Art Gallery. It's really fascinating to think that it had been underneath London for such a long time before it had been discovered in 1985.







Outside of the buildings we found an exhibition on the Battle of the Somme which took place in World War I.




My maternal grandfather was not much older when he joined the war - he had been born in 1899. Unlike this poor boy mentioned here he survived, which was good for me, because otherwise I wouldn't exist.









In the afternoon we went to the London City Mission HQ (again) to meet Jean-Louis Kassis, one of their workers who I had only known via Facebook before. Unfortunately it had started to rain, so we couldn't go somewhere else as planned, but we had a great time talking to him.





No comments: