Friday, June 29, 2012

My New Favourite Dress

I generally prefer wearing long dresses and skirts in summer instead of trousers (long or short) or short dresses / skirts. And when I say long I mean long – ankle length or even longer is ideal for me, even though these are hard to find nowadays. The style I prefer above all is Regency – and not just because I’m a Jane Austen fan.


So when I received a newsletter from the Jane Austen Centre in Bath promoting new dresses I immediately fell in love with the Cotton Gown! It is a day dress, not necessarily one for a ball. After all, there are not too many balls in the remote little village I’m living in and I don’t have the means just to travel to more “inhabited” places where such things are going on (do I sound like a Jane Austen character now? *s*). As my birthday is coming up I mentioned to my father how much I would like this dress and he replied, that “of course you can have it as a birthday present!” I love my Daddy :)


As colour I chose “Blue Daisy” and also asked Hermann what he thought (without telling him my choice) and he preferred “Blue Daisy” as well, so that was settled :) Yesterday I received the dress – exactly four weeks after I had ordered it which is really fast as it was handmade.


I’m so happy with this dress – it is just perfectly made with very high quality material! Hermann and I did a little photo session and I really didn’t want to take it off afterwards. I put it onto a hanger outside my wardrobe and went into the bedroom about every 15 minutes to look at it and touch it. The last dress which had this effect on me had been my wedding gown – Regency style, of course ;)


Now I’m waiting for the right weather to wear the dress - right now it is too hot and humid which causes a lot of sweating even without much physical exercise. But as Jane Austen already stated so accurately: "What dreadful hot weather we have! It keeps me in a continual state of inelegance."

6 comments:

Dru said...

Hi Barbara,
Very pretty dress!I hope you get to wear it out soon! Hope you have a wonderful weekend. Hugs, Dru

Lori said...

Wow!! What a pretty dress. I love the pictures of you in it. Have a nice week. ((BIG HUGS))!!

JOAN REEVES aka SlingWords said...

Nothing inelegant about your lovely Austen-esque dress, Barb.

Debbie Pfeiffer said...

Barb, this is so cool! Does it have removable long sleeves, or did a underying long-sleeve garment come with it? I notice you are bare armed in some poses. I think I would find it hard to wear out, worrying I would wear it out. (If that makes sense. *g*)
Also, as hard is this is to believe, the maxi dress style is back in this summer in the States. Most of the major clothing stores (which also have online presences) have them. I've seen them at Old Navy, Soma.com, Target, I'm guessing whichever store you'd look through would have them. Though they may not be the taste of an Austenite in her time. *g* Enjoy the dress! I enjoyed seeing all the pics!

Barbara said...

@Debbie - Yes, it has removable long sleeves :)

Suzy said...

What a lovely dress. I too wear dresses; I wear them year round instead of pants. Being a Jane Austin fan, of course, if you can find a regency styled dress it is the way to go. As I write this, I am in a long dress myself (I have several) but I would have preferred them in the regency style. Hopefully as I continue to lose weight I find some.